On November 18th 2014, we sent a letter to Ontario Minister responsible for prisons Yasir Naqvi demanding that he cut all ties with CBSA and stop collaborating in the indefinite, cruel and unjust detention of migrants in Ontario’s maximum security prisons. The Minister, who is also the Ontario Liberal House Leader, has yet to reply and Ontario continues to profit from Harper’s anti-immigrant laws. Immigration detentions must end.
So on March 16, 2015 representatives from the End Immigration Detention Network, No One Is Illegal Ottawa and Parent-Child Coalition for Justice visited Minister Naqvi and demanded that he act now.
Add your voice to ours. Take action with us!
* SIGN THIS PETITION: https://www.change.org/p/harper-end-indefinite-immigration-detention
* WRITE/CALL/TWEET AT YASIR NAQVI: Demand that the he end the imprisonment of migrants in Ontario prisons without trial or charge.
Call: 416-325-0408, 416-325-7754, or 613-722-6414
- Immigration detention is imprisonment without trial or charges.
- Of the 9,932 detentions that took place in 2013, 2,434 detentions took place in Ontario’s maximum security prisons. At any given time, between 520 and 700 people are in immigration detention in Canada. About 40 per cent of them are in Ontario provincial jails.
- In fiscal 2013-2014, the Feds paid Ontario more than $21 million for jail space for immigration detainees.
- The release rate at the monthly detention review hearing where continued imprisonment of immigrants facing deportations in Central Region (Ontario, minus Ottawa and Kingston) is 9%. Its 25.5% in the rest of the country.
- Detainees in Ontario jails spend an average of 40 days in custody – twice the 20-day average for immigration detainees in general. Some, of course, are in jail for 8-10 years. Detainees in Lindsay stay an average of 82 days there (allowing for early release, that’s equivalent to a four-month jail sentence for someone in the criminal justice system).
** Is not a provincial matter
** Is imprisonment without an end in sight
** Lacks due process
** Separates families